|POSH Palm Springs' Mexican Egg Torta|
While evening cocktail hours are the highlight of many boutique hotels in downtown Palm Springs, breakfasts are often just continental affairs. One notable exception is POSH Palm Springs, where owner Tony Gangloff whips up impressive vegetarian breakfasts every morning. One of his most requested specialties is his Mexican Egg Torta, which is a delicious combination of Southwest flavors baked in a lovely petal-shaped tortilla bowl. The dish is the perfect cure for a morning hangover.
|Make four, one-inch slits in the tortillas|
Mexican Egg TortaCourtesy of POSH Palm Springs
8 corn tortillas (6”)
1 can refried beans
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1 red pepper, diced
|Fold the tortillas to form a bowl and add the beans and cheese|
9 oz soy chorizo
2 tablespoons butter
12 large eggs
½ cup half and half
1. Grease eight ramekins (4.5” diameter) with spray oil.
|Sauté the bell pepper, onion, and chorizo in a skillet|
3. Place a generous one tablespoon dollop of refried beans into the bottom of each tortilla bowl. Sprinkle the shredded cheese into the tortilla bowl (about ¼ cup).
4. In a skillet, add the butter, diced red pepper, and diced onion. Sauté until the onion is clear. Add the chorizo and mix thoroughly in the pan. Remove from heat.
|Add the chorizo, pepper, onion mixture to each tortilla bowl|
5. Add a generous one tablespoon dollop of the chorizo/pepper/onion mixture to each tortilla bowl.
6. Mix the eggs and half and half in a blender for 20 seconds on low speed. Pour the egg mixture into each tortilla bowl until it reaches the top of the bowl.
7. Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 30 minutes.
|Pour the egg mixture into each bowl and then bake|
POSH Palm Springs
530 E Mel Ave
Palm Springs, CA 92262-4831